"I want to be the best Batsman in the world" this little fellow said to me, while I was conducting a session on personality development for teenagers years ago. I had given the class an exercise on "Who would you like to be 10 years from now ?" And what followed in that session was simply amazing. It was wonderful to know that dreams still live in people's hearts and they do aspire to greatness. Like this fellow who wanted to be the best batsman in the world.
Does he have the capability ? You would say "yes". Infact, not only him, but all of us have the capability to rise to greatness, to be number one in whatever field we choose to be. If this is true, then why dont we do it ?
You know why ?
Because being number one, takes focus, it takes commitment, it takes setting priorities and it takes the courage to be different.
So I told the young man. You will be granted your wish, but in the bargain:
1. You will have to wake up at 4am every morning and go for practice.
2. You will have to workout an hour every day.
3. You will have to eat healthy and no junk.
4. You will have to sleep early, so no late night television.
5. You may have to miss classes for practice and then work extra hard to make up for your grades.
6. You wont be able to hang out with your friends because you will be playing.
7. You may have to travel and stay away from home.
"Are you willing to do this process every day for the next ten years to be the best batsman in the world ?" and all I got was silence and then a faint reply, "I will think about it!"
Think about it ??? If you want to be the best, number one, there is a journey you must make. And it cannot be the same journey you are on today. Because the habits that you have, the things that you are currently doing are keeping you where you are.
To be number one, is a test of "will" power. Its not "can" you be number one ? Every one "can", but they "dont" ! The real question is "will" you ?